This initiative provides business coaching, entrepreneurial support and financial assistance to eligible unemployed individuals while they develop and implement a business plan, creating their own employment opportunities.
To be eligible to participate in the Self-employment Program, you must:
- live in the catchment area
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
- be unemployed and receiving Employment Insurance (EI), or
- have received EI Benefits in the past (Reachback EI Client or former EI Claimant), or
- have earned more than $2,000 in insurable earnings and paid EI employee premiums on those earnings in at least 5 (consecutive or non-consecutive) of the last 10 years, or
- have received EI Maternity or Parental benefits that began in the past five years, or
- have BCEA PWD/PPMB designation, or
- have a general disability designation.
Individuals currently in receipt of EI may continue to receive their EI benefits, or a regionally determined rate, whichever is higher. Eligible individuals not in receipt of EI benefits will receive the regionally determined rate. Individuals may also be eligible for personal supports, such as dependent care.
Please call your local WorkBC Centre for further information about this program.